Pages

Saturday 31 January 2015

Naomi's Lego Star Wars themed cake.

My baby brother turned 8 this week. As is customary, I was tasked with making him a cake. This year he opted for a Lego Star Wars cake (last year it was Spider-Man).

I trawled the web looking for inspiration & realised that I had to get my hands on some Star Wars mini figures to adorn my sponge cake. I looked on eBay and Amazon & I was shocked at the price (there were cheaper ones available to ship from China - they would have arrived mid Feb). Luckily I had a brainwave & contacted a friend who works for Lego & they were able to find a collection of characters for me. 



My bother requested a plain Victoria sponge with strawberry jam & buttercream. This was coated in navy buttercream instead of sugar paste. Although sugar paste often has a cleaner finish. In my opinion, buttercream is tastier!

I used a novelty silicone ice cube mild to shape red, blue, yellow and green sugar paste into Lego bricks & decorated the cake with these and the Star Wars figures.

It might not have been the most creative cake ever but it was a hit with the birthday boy and his party guests! 

2 comments:

  1. It was delicious and it looked great. I hope your brother grows up to be as culinarily talented as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Is everything edible here? It is amazing! Designer cakes are also so much in demand now days. I visited a fest last month and it was in a huge event venue. There they displayed a lot of designer cakes. They had a LEGO one too. Anyways, all of this is mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete